Self assessment tax return

Key information for Self assessment tax return 16-17

Accounting year: 06/04/2017 - 05/04/2018

Deadline: 31/01/2019

Who needs to submit tax returns: 

As per HMRC's latest guideline for self assessment tax return, you’ll need to send a tax return if, in the last tax year:

  • you were self-employed
  • you got £2,500 or more in untaxed income, for example from renting out a property or savings and investments 
  • your savings or investment income was £10,000 or more before tax
  • you made profits from selling things like shares, a second home or other chargeable assets and need to pay Capital Gains Tax
  • you were a company director 
  • your income (or your partner’s) was over £50,000 and one of you claimedChild Benefit
  • you had income from abroad that you needed to pay tax on
  • you lived abroad and had a UK income
  • you got dividends from shares and you’re a higher or additional rate taxpayer - but if you don’t need to send a return for any other reason,contact the helpline instead
  • your income was over £100,000
  • you were a trustee of a trust or registered pension scheme
  • you had a P800 from HMRC saying you didn’t pay enough tax last year - and you didn’t pay what you owe through your tax code or with a voluntary payment

Getting registered for self-assessment: 

You need to register if you didn’t send a tax return last year. How you do this depends on whether:

Our service:

We can prepare and submit your tax returns from just £99+VAT. Contact us for a friendly discussion.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *